On Friday, a tragic incident occurred in Odisha where two passenger trains collided, resulting in the loss of at least 50 lives and injuring around 350 people.
The collision involved the Coromandel Express, which operates between Kolkata and Chennai, and the Howrah Superfast Express, another passenger train. Initially, there was confusion regarding the nature of the accident, with some reports suggesting that it involved a freight train.
South Eastern Railway clarified that the Howrah Superfast Express had derailed and collided with the Coromandel Express, leading to the entanglement.
Distressing images from the scene showed rescuers navigating the wreckage searching for survivors. Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik said the immediate focus was on evacuating the victims alive and providing them with necessary medical attention.
Rescue operations were already underway, and Prime Minister Narendra Modi assured that all possible assistance would be provided to those affected. Railway Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw tweeted about the mobilization of rescue teams from Bhubaneswar in Odisha and Calcutta in West Bengal.
Cancelled trains are as mentioned below:
-12837 Howrah-Puri Superfast Express, scheduled to commence journey on June 2, 2023
-12863 Howrah-SMVB Superfast Express, scheduled to commence journey on June 2, 2023
-12839 Howrah-Chennai Mail journey, scheduled to commence journey June 2, 2023
-12895 Shalimar-Puri Superfast Express, scheduled to commence journey on June 2, 2023
-20831 Shalimar-Sambalpur Express, scheduled to commence journey on June 2, 2023
-02837 Santragachi-Puri Special Express, scheduled to commence journey on June 2, 2023
- 22201 Sealdah-Puri Duronto Express, scheduled to commence journey on June 2, 2023.
Details of diverted trains:
-03229 Puri-Patna Special from Puri on June 2, 2023 will run via Jakhapura-Jaroli route.
-12840 Chennai-Howrah Mail from Chennai on June 1, 2023 will run via Jakhapura and Jaroli route.
- 18048 Vasco da Gama-Howrah Amaravati Express from Vasco on June 1, 2023will run via Jakhapura-Jaroli route.
- 22850 Secunderabad-Shalimar Expr5ess from Secunderabad on June 2, 2023 will run via Jakhapura and Jaroli.
-12801 Puri-New Delhi Purusottam Express from Puri on June 2, 2023 will run via Jakhapura & Jaroli route.
-18477 Puri-Rishikesh Kalinga Utkal Express from Puri on June 2, 2023 will run via Angul-Sambalpur City-Jharsuguda Road-Ib route.
- 22804 Sambalpur-Shalimar Express from Sambalpur on June 2, 2023 will run via Sambalpur City-Jharsuguda Route.
-12509 Bangalore-Guwahati Express from Bangalore on June 1, 2023 will run via Vizianagaram-Titilagarh-Jharsuguda-Tata route.
- 15929 Tambaram-New Tinsukia Express from Tambaram on June 1, 2023 will run via Ranital-Jaroli route
- Bengaluru received 301.3 mm rainfall in month of May, wettest in history
- Indoor microplastic concentration 28 times higher than outdoor: study
- Dibang Sanctuary to be notified as a tiger reserve; Arunachal’s Idu Mishmi community protests