At least 16 people died in a cloudburst near the Amarnath cave in Jammu and Kashmir on Friday evening. According to officials, the search is still on for 30-40 people. As per the latest reports, five bodies have been identified.
List of identified dead bodies in Base camp Hospital Holy Amarnath cave, Out of 16 bodies only 5 have been identified till now.
- Mohan Lal Badhava Son of Raj Kumar Badhava, resident of Ganganagar, Rajasthan
- Virmati Wife of Bal Krishnan, Resident of Ambedkarnagar Madangir, South Delhi
- Sunita Babhava, Wife of Mohan Lal Badhava, resident of Ganganagar, Rajasthan
- Parkashi, Wife of Jai Narayan, Resident of Ambedkar Nagar Madangir, South Delhi
- Sushil Khatri, Son of Budhraj, resident of Rajasthan, A.I Mansover Sri Ganganagar.
The cloud burst under the Amarnath cave at around 5.30 pm. On the spot, NDRF, SDRF and all the agencies related to rescue work are engaged in relief and rescue work.
Rescued pilgrims who arrived at Sonamarg's Baltal base camp from the sacred Amarnath cave after it was hit by downpours recounted their harrowing experiences.
Deepak Chouhan, a Hardoi pilgrim from Uttar Pradesh, told the ANI news agency: "A stampede-like situation happened there, but the Army was very supportive. Many pandals were swept away by the water."
Another Sumit pilgrim from Maharashtra said, "The floods caused by the downpour washed away a lot of stones. We were two kilometers from the location of the downpour."
Another pilgrim said, "When the downpour came, we couldn't believe it. After a while, we only saw water and water. We were a group of seven or eight people, by the grace of Bholenath, we were all saved. However, we all had a harrowing experience as we saw people and bags being swept away by the water."
- Who actually first found Amarnath Cave?
- Amarnath Cloudburst: See in pictures situation on Ground
- Amarnath Batal cloud burst: 10 Yatris die, over 40 missing
- Cloudburst hits Amarnath cave area: What happened so far?