Read in Hindi | Charkha Development Communication Network announces Sanjoy Ghose Media Awards 2022. These jury-based awards aim to celebrate the work of people committed to a new perspective on the media’s role in empowering young girls and women from rural communities.
These awards are inspired by Charkha’s founder, Sanjoy Ghose, who worked towards the social and economic inclusion of marginalized rural communities through the creative use of media. Started over two decades ago, these awards support a cadre of development communicators who may ultimately create the most influential models of sustainable change. Awardees come together to share ideas and usher change towards creating a new genre of media that is visionary, responsible, and sensitive towards its role as the fourth pillar of democracy.
These awards are an opportunity for writers, development workers, researchers, and social advocates to delve into the challenges faced by adolescent girls and women in disadvantaged communities. This year, a total of 8 awards will be given based on the judgment made by an independent panel of experts.
Five awards will carry a certification and a cash prize of INR 50,000/. Each awardee is expected to generate five well-researched articles acceptable in English, Hindi, or Urdu, along with good-quality photographs to be submitted by December 31, 2022.
Three awards will carry a certification and a cash prize of INR 25000/. This category of awards is to encourage young girls associated with non-profit organizations as social advocates/peer leaders. Each awardee in this category is expected to generate three well-researched articles acceptable in English, Hindi, or Urdu, along with good-quality photographs to be submitted by December 31, 2022. Charkha team will assign a mentor to each awardee in this category to support them in their journey.
Applicants may select one of the 8 themes listed below to submit a detailed proposal:
– Gender-based violence against young girls and women in rural, remote India
– Impact of climate change on adolescent girls in rural India
– Women entrepreneurship in rural India
– Role of Digital Literacy in empowering adolescent girls in rural India
– Impact of poor transportation facilities on lives of adolescent girls in rural India
– Girl Child Trafficking in rural India
– Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights of Adolescent Girls in rural India
– Sports for Empowerment of Adolescent Girls – Challenges and Opportunities in rural India
Who can apply?
– For Category 1, Freelance writers, researchers, social advocates, development workers, and journalists with a demonstrated commitment to promoting the rights of adolescent girls
– For Category 2, adolescent girls (age 15-19) and young women (age 20-25) associated with any non-profit organization working in rural areas to empower adolescent girls from disadvantaged communities
– Brief curriculum vitae with details of work experience
– A proposal of approximately 800-1000 words outlining the particular thematic area in which the applicant would like to work. The proposal should include details regarding the specific geographical location of the study, methodology, the relevance of the theme selected as well as the impact expected from these articles. Also, mention the contribution it can make to the more significant development debate in the country. Please also specify the language of communication. Articles will be accepted in English, Hindi, or Urdu.
– For Category 1, applicants must send two published articles along with the application. One recent (published in the last two months) and another article of the applicant’s choice.
– For Category 2, If you’re an adolescent girl or a young woman social advocate/peer leader based in a rural area, kindly submit two relevant writing samples (published/unpublished)
– Two references with contact details. Letter from editor/head of organization approving the candidate’s application.
– Freelance journalists should include two letters of recommendation from editors or media personalities familiar with their work.
– Awards and fellowships held in the past three years.
– All applications must be typed. Handwritten and incomplete applications will not be considered.
– All articles will be published only after approval by the editorial team at Charkha.
The last date for receiving applications is 15th September 2022. Please send your complete applications to email@example.com with the Subject: ‘Application for Sanjoy Ghose Media Awards 2022’; Please do not forget to mention the category you are applying for in the subject line. For further information, contact 9365037694 or 7042293792
Note: Charkha’s trained writers and Women journalists are encouraged to apply. Previous Charkha Fellows and those currently availing benefits of any other fellowship or a similar financial assistance scheme are not eligible to apply.