Who is Shelly Oberoi new mayor of Delhi?
Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia announced on Wednesday that Shelly Oberoi has been elected as the new mayor of Delhi. In a tweet, she said that the ‘thugs’ lost and the people of Delhi won.
‘Thugs have lost, people have won. Delhi Municipal Corporation got an AAP mayor. Hearty congratulations to the people of Delhi and all AAP workers,’ he tweeted. He said that Shelly Oberoi will be AAP’s first female mayor of Delhi.
Who is Shelly Oberoi?
A native of Delhi, Shelly Oberoi has been elected as a councillor for Ward 86 in the civic elections. She has completed her PhD at the IGNOU School of Management Studies. She has been an assistant professor at several renowned universities.
- Shelly Oberoi won the DCM civic election for her neighbourhood on December 7.
- She has worked as an assistant professor at the University of Delhi.
- The 39-year-old councillor is also a life member of the Indian Commerce Association (ICA).
- She earned her master’s degree in commerce at Himachal Pradesh University.
- Shelly has received multiple awards at various conferences.
- She earned her PhD in philosophy from the Indira Gandhi National Open University School of Management Studies.
- The councillor received the ‘Miss Kamla Rani Award’ and a scholarship for achieving the highest GPA among all students at the university.
- Shelly Oberoi’s political career: She joined the Aam Aadmi Party in 2013.
The Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) carried out the voting process on Wednesday after three failed attempts on January 6, January 24 and February 6.
AAP won the December election battle securing 134 of 250 districts, ending the BJP’s 15-year rule of the civic body and was expected to name its mayor but was unable to do so after a dispute broke out over the order of the swearing-in ceremony and allowing LG VK Saxena-appointed members to vote, sparking clashes.
The AAP has also been successful in electing its second-time Chandni Chowk councillor, Aaley Mohammed, to the post of deputy mayor. Mohammed is the son of AAP lawmaker Shoaib Iqbal.
The party wrested control of the civic body from the BJP on December 7, 2022, ending its 15-year rule. The high-stakes election for the unified civic body’s 250 constituencies was held on December 4, with the AAP winning 134 municipal constituencies, the BJP 104 and the Congress nine.
Goons lost, public won says Manish Sisodia
Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia congratulated Shelly on winning the mayoral election, criticizing the BJP, ‘lost thugs, lost public’.
‘Many congratulations to all the workers on Aam Aadmi Party’s mayor in Municipal Corporation of Delhi and once again wholehearted gratitude to the people of Delhi’, he said in a tweet in Hindi. ‘Many many congratulations to the first Mayor @OberoiShelly of AAP.’
Repeating Sisodia’s ‘goons lost, public won’ phrase, Delhi chief minister and AAP national convener Arvind Kejriwal congratulated the people of Delhi on Oberoi’s victory in mayoral polls.
‘Today in the Municipal Corporation of Delhi, the people of Delhi won and hooliganism was defeated. Congratulations to the people of Delhi on @OberoiShelly getting elected as mayor,’ he tweeted in Hindi.
- How climate change is making tampons more expensive?
- Why Delhi doesn’t vote in MCD elections?
- Delhi Elections: AAP’s Manish Sisodia wins after big scare in Delhi elections
- Delhi Election: Delhi counting result, Know about your candidate…
Follow Ground Report for Climate Change and Under-Reported issues in India. Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, Koo App, Instagram, Whatsapp and YouTube. Write us on GReport2018@gmail.com.